everyone has heard of “bacon-wrapped scallops”. yummy appetizer, for sure. i like to turn the flavors into a meal and add a few layers of complexity using aromatics, acids, and a couple of smoky flavors. <— that’s the kind of shit i say when i’m hosting my own food program on TV in my kitchen/mind. but when i write about food, i like to write conversationally…so, this some bomb ass scallops, dude. and you serve it over pasta, which makes it super filling and satisfying. redeemable health-wise? um, there is half of a bell pepper in the recipe. you can use whole grain angel hair pasta. you could even add more vegetables and omit the butter for more EVOO. you could even omit the bac — oh god, i can’t believe i almost typed it. you cannot skip the bacon, it is absolutely essential.
- 1 lb of large sea scallops (about 15 count/lb)
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper (not green), chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 strips center cut bacon (or regular cheapo bacon), chopped into small pieces
- fresh herbs (basil, thyme, italian parsley)
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- 1/2 lemon (juice of)
- 2 tbsp white wine
- 2 tbsp butter (FFS, use real butter, please)
- smoked paprika, salt, pepper
- your favorite brand of angel hair pasta
- pat scallops dry on both sides gently w/ paper towel. season each scallop on both sides with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika
- in large skillet on med heat, cook bacon in olive oil until it’s no longer raw, but not yet crispy.. about 5 min.
- toss in butter, garlic, shallot, bell pepper, and continue cooking for another 3-4 min. scrape the contents of the skillet off to the side.
- carefully place scallops into pan. add wine after scallops are in place. and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side, until scallops feels firm and looks opaque.
- remove pan from heat, squeeze lemon juice into pan and top with fresh herbs. serve over angel hair pasta, making sure to get pan sauce in there, too.
- love me long time
i almost named this recipe “crappy nappy scallops”. i typed it out while my son took one of his famous shitty ass 20 minute naps. aka crappy nappy, because apparently cursing in front of the 3 yr-old in the house is a bad idea. whatever. my son doesn’t sleep, and i used an entire nap to type this out. somebody better make it!!!!