so, there are pretty much 2 popular versions of bourbon chicken. one is a southern-style version that uses real bourbon, and involves that fancy flaming stovetop shit. the other version is distinctly asian in it’s flavor profile. my recipe is the asian-inspired one; i use mirin and molasses for that dark, rich, bourbonesque flavor. thus, it doesn’t contain actual bourbon. which is marvelous, because the last thing my pregnant ass needs to be doing is buying bourbon. i get enough dirty looks when i pick up beer for filepe.
kiddo alert: omit the asian red pepper and you should be in there.
this recipe will serve 3-4.
- 2 lbs boneless chicken meat, white or dark (i mix boneless thighs w/ boneless tenders). if you’re using white meat, 2 lbs is is about 2 large or 3 med breasts.
- 1 small onion, chopped small
- 1 bell pepper, chopped small
- 1/2 cup fresh pineapple, chopped small
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp asian chili powder/flake (more or less to taste)
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger (dried ok)
- 2 tbsps cornstarch
- 2 tbsps flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- (optional/garnish) 2 green onions
- cut chicken into chunks, and salt & pepper the chunks. dredge in cornstarch, dip into beaten egg, dip back into flour. lay pieces out flat on a baking sheet while starting the sauce, letting them sit for at least 5 minutes.
- in large saucepan, saute onion and pepper in EVOO for about 5 minutes over med heat. add pineapple, white pepper, chili flake, and ginger. saute for another minute. add mirin, ketchup, molasses, soy sauce, and honey. bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer. sauce will reduce and thicken as you cook the chicken.
- for chicken: heat 1 tbso EVOO and stir-fry chicken until done, about 6-8 min, depending on type of meat used. remove from heat. when sauce has reduced to the thickness you desire, add chicken pieces to the saucepan and turn gently to coat evenly.
- serve w/ jasmine rice & garnish w/ green onion.
- MASTICATE AND MARVEL